Thursday, March 02, 2006

I know that I have said before that I am addicted to weighing myself, but I don’t think that I have really admitted on here how addicted I am to it.

Seriously, there should be a support group for me. I weigh myself on an average of five plus times a day. Did you hear me? Five friggin’ times a day.

That is insane. There is no need for it.

How it started was last year, when I decided to take this weightloss challenge, I really didn’t want to be tied down to points. I knew how weight watchers worked and had learned at this point a good estimate of how much points were in something by looking at it. I wanted to change my eating style, not constantly worrying about points.

So everyday was a journey. I watched what I ate. Made healthier choices but ate what I want in a smaller portion if I wanted something. I also drank an assload of water. So not knowing if this was going to work or not, I started to weight myself every morning to see if it was working. I figured that if I waited a week or so to weigh and it didn’t work, then I was wasting a week of going on weight watchers if that was what I was going to have to do. Seriously, how stupid does that sound?

I noticed that the weight was coming off on a daily/bi-daily basis and that is how the cycle began. Now there were times when I didn’t/couldn’t weigh myself on a daily basis (take hurricane Katrina for example) but after things got back to “normal” I fell off the wagon and started this ridiculous cycle of daily weigh-ins.

This is pretty much how it goes:

1. weigh myself when I first wake up, naked, and before I get in the shower.
2. weigh myself again after I go to the “bathroom”. Again naked.
3. if I don’t like that number, I usually weight a lil bit again and weigh myself.
4. weigh myself once I get home.
5. weigh myself after dinner and before I go to bed.

Now this is on any given day and sometimes there are more times then this.

I mean as I sit back and look at what I just typed, I’m extremely embarrassed. Is this really something that I want the world to see? Is it something that I am willing to admit and try to overcome? I mean I am beginning to wonder if this is slowing my process down.

I know I haven’t posted a pic of this week’s weigh in (I will once I get home tonight though) but I can tell you know that it is a + 0.5 lb. From last week. I am constantly hovering anywhere from 156-154.5. I don’t know what to do to get past that and now I really am wondering if hoppin’ on that scale so much is slowing my efforts down. I really wanna wait until next Tuesday before I weigh myself again, but I am so afraid that not weighing myself everyday will cause me to be slack.

Is this stupid or what? Can anyone out there relate to this?

On a quick side note, I am hoping that one thing that will help me get outta that 156-154.5 death zone is the fact that I gave up candy for lent. Now, don’t go thinking that I am this big religious person b/c I am far from that. Actually I have a bet going with someone at work to see if we can go without something for the forty days. His is cussin’, my is candy. I haven’t made it thru the first 24 hours yet and I’m jones-in’. I’m hoping that this will help.



edited to add: when i got home today, i had a great lil pamphlet from dove with coupons, advertisements for a couple of their new products, and a lil bit of inspiration.

this was one of the lil pieces of inspiration that i thought was so appropriate based on this post today:

scales belong on a fish. try to wean yourself off the scales. too many people allow the scales to dictate how their life is going to be.

how wonderful is that????

you can also go here for more self-esteem exercises and tips.

1 Comments:

Blogger a n n e said...

Some people say that weighing yourself is bad for you, but I didn't own a scale for a long time and I never knew how much I weighed. Now I know and it helps me gauge how I've been doing with exercising and eating. The trick is to not go all Lindsay Lohan and stop eating if you go up a lb here and there, but it helps me stay on track.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home